Information Technology and Organizations
Note: Many of the links below are to early, working paper versions of the listed paper, which
may differ from the final, published version. Please contact the respective publishers for the
final versions. If you need Adobe Acrobat, you can get a free reader here
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Milgrom, Paul, "Complementarity in Organizations" in The Handbook for Organization Economics, eds. Robert Gibbons and John Roberts (Princeton University Press, 2013).
- Nicholas Bloom, Erik Brynjolfsson, Lucia Foster, Ron Jarmin, Itay Saporta-Eksten, and John Van Reenen, "Management in America" (January 2013).
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Hitt, Lorin and Kim, Heekyung "Strength in Numbers: How Does Data-Driven Decisionmaking Affect Firm Performance " (April, 2011)
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Schrage, Michael "The New, Faster Face of Innovation: Thanks to Technology, Change Has Never Been So Easy-or So Cheap" Wall Street Journal and Sloan Management Review (August, 2009)
- McAfee, Andrew and Brynjolfsson, Erik "Investing in the IT That Makes a Competitive Difference" Harvard Business Review, (July-August, 2008)
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Hitt, Lorin M. and Shinkyu Yang (2002) "Intangible
Assets: Computers and Organizational Capital," Brookings
Papers on Economic Activity: Macroeconomics (1): 137-199.
here for the Working Paper version]
F. Bresnahan, Erik Brynjolfsson, and Lorin
M. Hitt (February 2002) "Information Technology, Workplace
Organization, and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence".
Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 117 pp. 339-376. [Click
here for the Working Paper version][Click
here for the abstract]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Lorin M. Hitt, and Shinkyu
Yang (December 2000) "Intangible Assets: How the Interaction
of Computers and Organizational Structure Affects Stock Market
Valuations" MIT Working paper.[Acrobat
pdf file 113K]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Amy Renshaw and Marshall
V. Alstyne (Winter 1997) The
Matrix of Change: A Tool for Business Process Reengineering,
Sloan Management Review, pp. 37-54. [Click
here for information about free software for use with the "Matrix
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Hitt, Lorin(1997) Information
Technology and Organizational Design: Evidence from Microdata,
MIT Working Paper. [Acrobat pdf file 145K]
- Bakos, Yannis and
Brynjolfsson, Erik (1997) Organizational
Partnerships and the Virtual Corporation, Chapter 4 in Information
Technology and Industrial Competitiveness: How Information Technology
Shapes Competition, Kluwer Academic Publishers. [Click
here for the abstract]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik (1994) Information Assets, Technology, and Organization,
Management Science, Vol. 40, No. 12. (Note: the working paper version of this paper was called "An Incomplete Contracts Theory of Information, Technology, and Organization".) (A Japanese translation
can be found here.)
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Thomas
Malone, Vijay Gurbaxani, and Ajit Kambil (1994) Does
Information Technology Lead to Smaller Firms?, Management
Science, Vol. 40, No. 12 pp. 1645-1662.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Mendelson,
Haim (December 1993) Information
Systems and the Organization of Modern Enterprise. Journal
of Organizational Computing. Vol. 3, pp. 245-255.
- Bakos, Yannis. and Brynjolfsson, Erik (December 1993) From
Vendors to Partners: Information Technology and Incomplete Contracts
in Buyer-Supplier Relationships. Journal of Organizational
Computing, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 301-328.